Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Sixth of Several: Finding Grandpa/Choose Faith

I sat down at the computer this evening and got onto lds.org. It was time to fulfill another Temple Week activity, and I wanted to do it before 11:00 at night.

Today I chose to do the 4-generation pedigree chart. A bit sad, but I didn't actually end up finishing the entire thing; however, I learned more than I thought I would.

By questioning my parents, I was able to learn several names and dates that I needed, but I was still missing the birth and death dates of my great-grandparents. My mom suggested that I look upstairs in her SECRET SPECIAL drawer in her dresser where she might be keeping a pedigree chart that would help me out. I proceeded to search the drawer.

I didn't find the pedigree chart. I did find, however, an overwhelming collection of memorabilia all about Grandpa Crockett.

My grandpa passed away when I was five years old. I couldn't accurately describe him because I 1) don't remember much about him and 2) have heard way too many good things about him from my mom and aunts and uncles to include all of it here.

I will never forget my Grandpa Crockett. However, I do believe that sometimes we lapse into a state of laziness where we don't ponder the lives and lessons of others who have gone from our mortal lives. In that drawer, I found my grandpa again. I found him through the words and stories of others. I read about things that I've never heard before, and some things that I had forgotten.

Among the photos and stacks of paper, I found a little pink booklet entitled "Choose Faith Again." In it was included the stories of women from our ward who chose faith instead of despair in times of trial. My mom's recollection of the hard times after Grandpa Crockett's death especially touched me. I felt the Spirit in such a different way than I have in a long time---a renewed connection between me and my grandpa. It was a wonderful feeling.

I decided that I would follow the example of my grandpa. I want to be as much like him as I can. I also decided that I would follow the example of my mom. We should all strive to live like Christ and choose faith. Not only should we choose faith, though; we should choose faith again. And again, and again, and again, every time we are faced with a difficulty in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I dig this fo sho. Wonderful timing, Mace :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete