Monday, June 7, 2010

It's Simple

"Are you having fun, Macey?" my mother asks.

I don't even look up from my tower of blocks as I respond, "Yes, actually."

You would think that, with all of the technological junk that we have now, blocks would have gone extinct, right? WELL YOU'RE WRONG! Toddlers everywhere still enjoy those wooden, plastic, and paper cubes. In fact, toddlers are not the only ones who enjoy them. . .fourteen-year-olds do, too.

But why? What about these insanely simple toys fascinates the human mind? Perhaps it is their simplicity itself; I don't know. I just know that they're fun---simply fun.

WordPerfect 10 defines fun as " light-hearted pleasure or amusement." But what makes something fun? Who really knows? I suppose it depends on the person and their likes and dislikes, but still---what makes blocks so fun? Is it the sense of responsibility that you get as you build a tower and keep it from falling? Or the pure joy of knocking down the tower yourself? *shrug* Can you really explain it?

All I know is that while I sat there playing with those blocks, I was genuinely entertained. And sometimes even all of the high-tech nonsense doesn't do that.

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha, like how I am very easily amused by a lot of things! :D I can't really explain either, but sometimes if I just see something that makes a cool noise or something, I'll be like "ooooh! this if fun!" Ha ha. The mind works in mysterious ways I guess. I'm glad that amongst all these CRAZY teens, we still like blocks and all that good stuff. :D And now, if I may quote from Spongebob...
    "F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and meeee! N is for anywhere and anytime at all, down here in the deep blue SEAAAAAA!!!!!" "F is for FIRE THAT BUR-" OK, I'll stop right there :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha YES YES YES!!! I love Spongebob with a pure passion that comes from deep within my soul. I guess the score is Simplicity: 1, TV: 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie stole my comment...I mean the FUN song...

    ReplyDelete