Sunday, May 16, 2010

I'd Rather Be Writing

“She was always more of an academic type, anyway.”
Like always, my dear mother was right.
And that was something that CPVT could never take away from me: my academics—or, more specifically, my ability to write.
Ever since I was incredibly young, I loved writing. I wanted to write a novel, and to see my name printed neatly on a colored cover, with that little golden National Book Award medal stamped in the corner. I could just imagine how it would feel to hold my own published work in my hands.
But for the moment, I was stuck writing short stories on printer paper pages and taping magazine pictures onto them for illustrations.
Still, I never gave up hope. I did begin considering other things that I would like to do as a profession when I was older: teach, sing, act. But none of these things seemed to stand out to me as much as writing did.
“How to become an author” typed into Google came up with 86,300,000 results in .19 seconds. I read off of about five of these websites, and I believe that they are all relatively the same—the number one piece of advice that they gave on how to become an author was to write.
It seems like it would be quite obvious, right? After all, publishing a nonexistent work isn’t a very realistic goal. Still, these websites reminded all of those budding authors to actually transfer their ideas from their brains to paper. This was never a problem for me.
What was a problem, however, was the fact that I had a tendency to get bored with a story too quickly. I would concoct a brilliant idea, write crazily for a couple of weeks, and then lose interest. This would sometimes happen with four or more stories at a time, often resulting in the mass deleting of the files. It was a shame to throw away such good ideas; yet, I couldn’t get myself to move them out of the rough draft stage.
The only story of mine that has ever made it to the conclusion is “The Housekeeper.” I wrote it in sixth grade, and on my WordPerfect 10 program, it turned out to be about thirty-five pages. It was an amazing feat.
Yet, I wasn’t finished. Google’s suggested websites advised me to, while writing and after finishing the manuscript, edit furiously. They also proposed that I run certain passages by my peers to get their opinions. At the moment, I am working on a novel entitled “The Academy.” From the beginning, I have posted chapters of it on my blog, seeking the advice of my friends. Their kind suggestions have greatly aided me in continuing my work.
The third major stage of becoming a true author is one that I have never before attempted: publishing. Considering I am only fourteen, actually getting a publisher to pay attention to my writing seems like an achievement that is quite out of reach. Nevertheless, I look forward to a day when my life-long dream of becoming a published novelist will come true. I often revert to my childhood wishes of seeing my books sell by the millions to people throughout the world.
I am determined, and I remain forever grateful that CPVT only limited me to excessive exercise. Because truly, in the end, I’d always rather be writing.

9 comments:

  1. You'll be an amazing writer someday. You already are. If you keep it up you'll be GREAT! I will buy every one of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M ILLUSTRATING THEM!!! Called it. <<<see?!?!? Totally called it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mace,
    I am not just saying this because I am your friend, but YOU ARE AN AMAZING WRITER! Seriously, you really are. No matter what anyone else might say, just know that I say YOU ARE. Ever since 1st grade have I known how talented you were at writing. It always amazes me when I read anything you write, how I can just see the the talent you truly have. Even if you don't notice it, trust me, others do! I always wished I could write good, but it's just not that easy for me. It seems to come so naturally to you, and that means you should keep at it. Don't ever give up, cuz I truly believe you can be a succesful author someday. Hey, Stephenie Meyer had a dream, wrote it down, got advice from friends and family, and got rejected from several publishers at first, but look where she is now!! Ha ha . So, I'm sorry for this super long little speech/pep talk of mine... but I just wanted to let you know how amazing you are and to never give up and you will go far! Sorry if that sounded super cheesy, but it's true!
    Love, Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha sorry I put "i always wished I could write GOOD!" lol, see??? That just proves that I can't write very well.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. hah don't worry Annie, she gets those from me alllll the time :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha ha, YES! We must keep encouraging her with our cheesy, encouraging words of encourag..ness...... :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. All right, sounds good! Teamwork! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. AH!!! I LOVE YOU! ALL OF YOU!!!

    Thanks Annie. You're awesome. Macey is to writing as Annie is to photography...and making me smile! <---Don't you love that analogy right there??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally taught you the gentle art of analogies and LOVE! thank you, thank you. Ill be here ALLLL week. I can hear your sighs of relief now... ;D

    ReplyDelete