Saturday, May 8, 2010

Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Yoga

Have you ever actually spelled out "eenie, meenie, minie"? How are you supposed to spell them?

“You could do yoga,” says the cardiologist.
I’ve accepted my limitations and the few options of exercise that I have at this point. And I’m incredibly grateful for the doctor’s kind suggestions. But I just can’t help but grin and chuckle a bit. Yoga? Who even does that?
Nevertheless, I’ve been thinking about yoga more and more recently. Inability to do competitive sports and strenuous exercise, as well as an overdose of stress makes me a great candidate for the activity. Because of this—and the fact that I need a P.E. credit—I researched it.
Yoga is a meditative practice. It includes traditional physical and mental disciplines that originate from Hinduism and Buddhism in India. It is a sacred practice meant to help one attain “Moksha”– liberation from the suffering of reincarnation. To the rest of us throughout the world, however, it is simply a form of exercise to improve health.
The actual word yoga comes from the Sanskrit root “yuj” meaning “joining” or “uniting.” Another possible meaning is “contemplation,” deriving from the root “yujir samadhau.” One who masters the art of yoga is called a yogi or yogini.
I found some funny-sounding poses, also.
The Warrior 2 is a pretty common pose in yoga. It strengthens the arms and legs and apparently builds confidence. (Who wouldn’t feel good about themselves when they’re looking like a warrior?) To do this pose, you sort of do a forward lunge with your back foot facing outward, and then stretch your arms out so that they are facing forward and backward.
The Downward-Facing Dog pose builds strength and flexibility, as well as awareness. It stretches the spine and hamstrings as you start out on your hands and knees and then slowly lean forward, stretching your legs straight.
The Mountain is probably the simplest pose in the book. All you have to do is stand up straight with your feet together, stretching your neck upward by raising the base of your skull. After a few breaths, you raise you arms above your head. This pose improves posture and balance.
Indeed, I like to make fun of yoga. I must admit, however, that I did the Warrior pose once and it was a decent stretch. I am also in need of some options of activities that I can try out that do not fall under the category of “strenuous,” especially through my first year of recovery. Perhaps I’ll take up golf, or croquet, or ping pong. Or maybe even yoga.

1 comment:

  1. Or bowling! I'm doing it online this summer... PE credit, man!

    ReplyDelete