Today, my English teacher wrote the following journal prompt on the white board at the beginning of class:
"Kids these days...they think love conquers all and nothing matters except how you feel about each other. They have no sense of responsibility to their families or respect for tradition."
I wasn't entirely sure what my English teacher actually wanted me to write in response to this. I sat for a while in ignorant wonder until I decided that I should probably just write something so that she wouldn't get mad at me. My response (lengthened and edited):
Some teenagers may feel this way; indeed, some teenagers dream of a fairytale love--eloping with a tall, dark, and handsome man or fairest-in-all-the-land woman when they grow up. However, this is not the case for every single teen. Not all of us are so shallow as to rebel and ignore the ways of our parents and other esteemed family members. For example, the way that I think of love is a true, everlasting bond between two people who know, and want the best for, each other (since I am so versed in the ways of love...). I intend to follow my family's tradition of marriage within my own faith, and I know several others who plan on doing the same.
Yeah, it kinda just ends on an odd note, but I don't want to write any more.
The point? *shrug* Perhaps adults judge us teenagers wrongly. Perhaps we're not so immature and hard-hearted and of a rebelling nature.
There are some of us--pray, several of us--that truly wish to follow in the ways of our fathers. Some of us strive with all our hearts to make choices that will lead down a path of happiness and love throughout the rest of our lives (and eternity).
So, don't you judge us, adults.
Don't you dare judge us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I was confused too... my response was extremely similar to yours, though not as eloquent as I wasn't planning on anyone else reading it. Anyway, I agree, I don't enjoy generalizations all that much - they're usually very wrong, and don't even apply to most of the people being stereotyped. Lame, Mrs. Rude, lame.
ReplyDeleteamen sista!!! :D ha ha ha but yes, very well put... :)
ReplyDelete