Sunday, April 18, 2010

Discovery

"Weapon??"

"Yes."

"Weapon?"

"Yes."

This brief conversation ensued after an interesting discovery.

So, Lynzi's been sitting on the couch for a while, lazily gazing at her iPod, browsing her "5,000 Baby Names" app for names and their meanings. She's getting a super head start on names for her own future children, which, if you've never done it, is actually an entertaining task.

After discovering the meaning of Kody's name (ironically, 'Helpful'), she discovered the meaning of mine:

Macey

Weapon

I was shocked. I didn't know what to think of it. How could the meaning of my name be "Weapon"??

But, of course, I do kinda know...

In my WordPerfect 10 dictionary, "mace", in one use, is defined as "historical a heavy club with a spiked metal head." The other definition is " the reddish outer covering of the nutmeg, dried as a spice," which doesn't exactly support my claim. BUT.

Am I really an instrument of torture?? I've never thought of myself as so violent or cruel. How could this word define me?

THEN. I discovered another discovery that was so discoveringly discovery-y that needed to be discovered in order to discover the wording for this post entitled, "Discovery."

WHAT A PLETHORA OF DISCOVERIES.

The discovery was this: although my name may mean "weapon," that word does not define me. It defines my name. Not me. Name. NOT...me. Just because 5,000 Baby Names declares what it declares doesn't mean it's true.

I am the me that I make myself, and I don't need some baby names app to tell me otherwise. Even if I intended to make myself of use to harm others, at least I would be shaping my own self into what I wanted myself to be.

Also. I like to think that, if my name must mean "weapon," it doesn't mean a club with spikes lining the edges. I like to think that it describes me as some sort of righteous shield that others use to help them ward off Satan...and rabid leprechauns. But that's just what I like to think.

12 comments:

  1. Idk, Macey WeaponAnn Richardson sounds good too me. haha Not.
    But! if you were a weapon it would be like the sling David used to slay Goliath or the sword of Laban, when Nephi umm decided Laban wasn't going to be needing his head anymore.
    Ya. Definitely something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! But seriously who would name their child with the intent of having their name mean weapon??? dumb baby names app does NOT know about the nonsense rubbish they are talking about :) Hee hee, but you are definitely a WEAPON against EVIL! :D :D :D I wonder what my name means???.................

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha thanks, guys. I can look yours up, Anne!!!

    It's....aww man, yours is awesome!!! It means "favored grace."

    And Kami, just in case you were wondering, yours is "lord."

    Why the why is mine "weapon"???? I know I'm being hypocritical, all complaining and all. BUT. What the what???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Favored grace is quite favorable..:)

    why thank you Macey, i WAS wondering! kinda...i sorta knew it ment God in Japanese but that's just weird... Hey at least yours IS weapon. It can be all defensive against evil. Mine is just wrong wrong wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. Funny with that whole Japanese-American meaning comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well..my mom went to Japan on her mission so that totally counts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Favored grace"? Ha ha that is pretty awesome. How bout if we put all of ours TOGETHER, then it would be even MORE AWESOME! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Rabid Leprechauns strike again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha oh yeah....a weapon of favored grace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Macy, The only thing I can say is it has to mean "nuts" cause that's all I can think of when I read your blog. Good "nuts" of course. Love ya!
    Uncle Richie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha thanks Richie. You're the best. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, since my dad commented on your blog on my user i thought it'd be nice if I commented (on my user, of course). I doubt you'll find the name Cortlee in there, but if you do tell me what it means! :D You are definitely a weapon, but a good weapon. Even though you've been through amazing times, and horrible times I read what you write on here and see how your experiences have strengthened you. I look up to you and try to live my life the way I know you do. I want to thank you for all you write on here...one of the posts even made me cry, and I don't EVER cry, so that's pretty awesome. Thank you for everything Macey. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete