Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I figured I oughtta post this. I'm being lazy and not posting anything about my life. Well, my life really isn't THAT interesting.......I suppose I could relate the past few days. Ok. I will. Maybe. After I post this.
Her roommate, a girl named Calibri, answered. “Hello!”she exclaimed in a voice that leapt from her mouth so loudly that I jumped.
“Hello,” I returned quietly. “Is Cadence in?”
“Cadence, someone’s here for you.”
The girl came to the door looking surprised. “Poppy. Did you read the note?” she asked as she led me inside.
“That’s what I came here about. There wasn’t anything on the note. Who was it from?”
“There wasn’t anything on it? How strange. It came from your sister.”
“Sawyer?” I hadn’t talked to my older sister in almost a week. “Well, do you have any idea what it was about?”
“No. I was just talking to her this afternoon, because I was visiting my sister. You know, they changed the older girls’ rooms around, so they’re roommates now. Anywho, we just chatted when she randomly said that she needed something sent to you. She began to write when a counselor came in. She turned the paper over and really quick hid it underneath some homework, for whatever reason. The counselor just wanted to know what room some other girl was in. Moving the rooms got her mixed up, too. So after she left, Sawyer folded up the paper, and–” She paused in thought. “Oh! She must’ve grabbed the wrong paper! That’s why your note was blank.”
“I see.” I mulled this over for a few moments, then saw myself out the door after saying goodbye.
This was odd. The story that Cadence had just related to me seemed completely out of character of Sawyer. My sister had nothing to hide from counselors; actually, no one had anything to hide from counselors. Even if you attempted to hide something, you would get told on.
My sister needed to tell me something. And this something couldn’t be seen by any counselors.
I took the elevator up one floor and walked briskly down the hall. I knocked on her door, almost immediately realizing that it wasn’t her door anymore. The girl newly in the apartment scowled at me when I apologized, asking where Sawyer was now, but then pointed.
“Poppy!” Sawyer yelled when she opened the door. I smiled and laughed. “Hey! Did you get my note?”
“Well, I got a paper from you, but there was nothing on it.”
“Huh?” Her nose wrinkled to the side and she cocked her head questioningly.
“Cadence thinks you must’ve given her the wrong paper to send.”
“Ah,” she went to her desk to investigate. I sat on one end of her bed. Cadence’s sister, Briala, was nowhere in sight.
“Cade was right. Here it is.” She was about to give the paper to me when a counselor burst through the door. It was Mrs. Brauswell.
“Oh, dearies,” she said in a kind voice. “Have you seen Briala?”
“She’s down in the courtyard,” Sawyer said. I glanced over at her. The paper was no longer in her hand, and she was back at her desk as if nothing had been happening before Mrs. Brauswell stepped in.
“Oh. Well then, thank you!” She took a step back, hesitated, glanced about the room, caught my gaze, and then left.
“Sis,” Sawyer said almost silently, folding up the real note. She gave it to me, commanding me to stuff it in my pockets, or anywhere that was out of sight.
“Wait for a few minutes. She always stands outside the door for a bit, and then leaves.”
“Huh?”
“Do as I say. I can’t explain. Not yet. It would be too dangerous to bring you into this so soon.” Her tone still bordered along inaudible.
Beyond confused, I obeyed.
And I also decided that I was having the weirdest evening of my life.
But after that, my sister sent me out the door, waving and making me promise that I’d come back soon in the cheeriest voice ever.
One eyebrow cocked up, one hand clenching the note in my coat pocket, I descended the stairs in fear that Brauswell would be in the elevator. I dove into my bed back at my apartment, cold-shouldered Avery, and slept.
And relatively well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment