Sunday, January 10, 2010

Born to be Weird

My sister used to have this poster that had this picture of Spongebob and Patrick, riding motorcycles, on it. At the bottom, it said, "Born to be Weird." Props for Sponge and Pat and their ability to be completely and thoroughly weird.

Because, today, I discovered that being WEIRD is totally and completely awesome--despite the fact that our world tends to shun those who go by the name.

Today it was ward conference at church. Everything was the same except for Young Women's--it was combined with Young Men's, and all of the stake leaders in those areas and the stake president were in there with us, too. First, Brother Dell presented the youth leadership names for sustaining vote, then President Cowan spoke.

He began with the statement that we are a peculiar people, as it states in the scriptures. He went on to explain that our world would simply call us WEIRD.

I don't disagree.

Clearly, our customs are incredibly different compared to those of the natural and common world. Our standards are strict. They are difficult to follow at times. The boys sit through 3 hours of church in white shirts, ties, and dress pants--the girls take special care to cover their bodies completely, expressing modesty.

There are not many people in this world that do the same. I applaud everyone who does, and to those who do not, well, what right have I to judge or condemn you?

Thus, we are called a peculiar people. President Cowan continued--the line between the good and bad is becoming quite large. It has come to the point where it is difficult to find grays in the world; often, there is either black or white. Good or bad. Righteous or wicked.

We, the peculiars, are striving with the most intent fervor to be white, good, and righteous. And when I say 'white', I don't speak of races, I speak of purity and virtuosity. "In the world and not of the world" has become a frequently used phrase. It describes our intent perfectly, so I don't hesitate to repeat it.

I don't know who reads my blog; thus, I must disclaim: I am not saying that my church is perfect. I am not saying that I am perfect, or that any of us in my church are, because we are not. I'm saying that we're WEIRD. :) I hope no one blog-stalking has come upon mine and read this post feeling as though I am bragging. I'm not.

Simply, I say that I was born to be weird.

And I intend to stay that way.

2 comments: