Sunday, November 8, 2009

"My Soul Delighteth in the Scriptures"

And so it does.
I realized (again) that I absolutely LOVE the scriptures.
For church, they asked us to read the entire Book of Mormon before December 20th. Seminary asked us to read it before the end of this school year (if we do it before next semester, then we get to go a barbecue :)).
So, I took both challenges. And I finished it! And it made me super happy.
But, I'm still continuing to read it.....I was reading it before I actually started this challenge, and I'm going to read after it, too.
Today I read the continuation of Ammon and the converted Lamanites story. (Chapter 30) (Sorry for all of those who don't have/haven't read the Book of Mormon.) Korihor, the Anti-Christ, began to teach amongst the Nephites, and he was drawing the people away from the church and leading them to believe in false things. He continued on to Jershon, where the people of Ammon (converted Lamanites; Anti-Nephi-Lehis) caught him, bound him, and took him before Ammon (their ruler). (They were smarter than the Nephites; they were devout to the church and wouldn't allow Korihor to pollute their land with sin.) Korihor ended up being cast out of Jershon, and was also taken to the chief judge of another city. The chief judge questioned Korihor and his false teachings, asking him why he denied God when he knew that He truly was. Korihor, stubborn and hard-hearted, demanded a sign that God lived. The chief judge said that his sign was to be struck dumb so that he could no longer preach falsely to the people. Indeed, according to the word, Korihor was struck dumb. In writing, he admitted to his knowledge of God. He was cast out of the land, and in another city, while begging for food, he was trodden upon until he died.
The moral of the story? The last scripture of this chapter says: "...and thus we see that the devil will not support his children at the last day, but doth speedily drag them down to hell."
And so it is.
Why do I find this so endearing?
Because it's so RIGHT. It's so TRUE. I love when the righteous continue to be righteous. I love when they cast out the evil because it's RIGHT. I just love everything that I've learned about the scriptures, and I continue to love the things that I've learned.
And my soul delighteth in the scriptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment