Saturday, September 5, 2009

Forgot the Map

Sorry I haven't posted any of this story for a long time. I just haven't been writing it, so I didn't post any more of it. This is only a short bit more. Sorry for the no-paragraph-ness. I really do follow proper paragraphing rules, it just doesn't show up on the blog. :)

“Adelie,” I said with its French accent, holding out my hand. She shook it and smiled.
“Where have you and your sisters come from?”
In realization, I searched the hay around me for Adelie and Elodie, finding them asleep behind me.
“We’re from St. Amore.” I lowered my voice. “We have fled the village. Italians will invade it soon.”
“Italians? I’ve never heard of Italians being so hostile.”
“Oh, Anastasie, have you not heard?” Anastasie shook her head, and I proceeded to explain. “Italian guerrillas have been attacking villages all about France. They take them, one by one, and kill every soul within. My mother and father are part of the FPF. They were warned of the Italians’ plans to invade our town. They told me to take my sisters to Spain, where my aunt lives, so we will be protected.”
Anastasie gasped, hands over her mouth. “Adelie, this is horrible. You must leave. Hurry, wake your sisters.”
I obeyed, but turned to Anastasie. “I do not know if they will try to take Rodez. It is large, and strong. They may avoid it for now. But they have many resources and several recruits. I don’t know how long it will be safe here.”
Tears beaded Anastasie’s eyes. “I will warn my mother. We have a large family; perhaps it would be best if we left soon.” I nodded once and turned my attention to my sisters. They were wide awake, looking at me as if to know what to do.
“Come now. We have wasted daylight.”
My sisters stood, careful not to hit the barn roof, and followed Anastasie and I down the ladder. Anastasie ran inside her house and then came back with a bottle of milk, some cheese wrapped in cloth, and a warm loaf of bread. I put the food in my bag, thanked her, gave her my best wishes, and set off with my sisters.
We kept to the edge of the road as we came into the center of town; cars and wagons drove along the cobblestones as they headed for the market or away from the inn. Merchants along the road were yelling to the people who passed by, advertising their newest products and cheap prices.
The sky was overcast. Clouds rumbled in the distance, but as of now, Rodez was dry. It was a little humid out, but cool. It would be a relatively comfortable walk today. It was then that I wondered where we were going, exactly. And how long it would take to get there.
I realized that we needed a map. It was one of the only things that I hadn’t thought about before we’d left home. I figured that as we entered the heart of the city, at least one of the shops would sell a map that we could purchase to continue on.

No comments:

Post a Comment