Sunday, June 26, 2011

It's Fresh. It's New. It's Real.


As part of the Willie Handcart Company, Levi Savage (Jasen Wade) feared that leaving late in the season would lead to despair and death. What he came to find out is that for every tragedy, there is a multitude of miracles.

Levi Savage kept meticulous records as he made his journey west toward the Salt Lake Valley. Many of the unbelievable miracles showcased in 17 Miracles come directly from Levi's first hand journal entries.

Based on unbelievable actual events, and brought to you by filmmaker T.C. Christensen (Praise to the Man, The Work and the Glory), 17 Miracles will open your eyes to the stories of the Mormon Pioneers as you have never seen them before. Something extraordinary is about to happen.



I've never been in such a quiet theater before.

You know the usual chaos after a movie--the general clumping of feet, rustle of empty popcorn bags, and chatter of opinions about the film. Not at this one. None of that. As the credits rolled, the entire of the theater sat still--a couple people got up and left, maybe--but still in the silence that follows something profound. Something profound, and sad; but something peaceful, and so great in the end.

I shuffled my body in my seat, waiting. What's...supposed to happen here?  I looked around nervously. Nope, nobody was leaving.

At the end of the short credits, I stood nervously. Yeah, ok, now everyone was leaving. A girl in the row above me said something to her mother, her voice ever a whisper, even as the lights came back on and the people began to file out the door. The only one who said something above a murmur was a lady at the top--"You people are so quiet!" I couldn't have agreed more with that lady.

Things seemed so different. Suddenly, the movie theater wasn't a mess. Things seemed orderly, and soft, and shadowed instead of bright. The posters on the walls seemed a bit more gaudy, but they didn't matter as much in their gaudiness. Things in the world were set straight. Even my neck didn't hurt as much.

The drive home was just as quiet.

Never has a cinematic feature had such an effect on me--nor anyone, I dare say. When, where, HOW else do you see a mass of people so collectively quiet? Not at the Super Bowl, I can tell you that.

You've heard stories about the pioneers. You've heard them all your life, and maybe you've even gotten tired of them. Well, let me tell you, it's time to get UN-TIRED. It was definitely my time. It's one thing to read about the pioneers, and another to watch their lives played before your eyes (no matter how pretended). Especially when you know that every wit of what is being played before you is true.

It's great to step back. To see that movie...It's to remember why we are here, why we do what we do. Why I do what I do. It's because, and for, THEM. For those pioneers. And it's because I know that the Lord's hand did not--and has not--ceased at 17 miracles.

3 comments:

  1. Amen, sistah. i noticed the pictures on the wall after, too. Their terribleness was ten times worse after that movie.

    We were probably quieter on the way home because my driving was better and no one was screaming. ;) haha just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Haha, that's possible. But nobody was screaming on the way there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow.. That's real deep. I will probably cry if I see that movie. I NEVER cry during movies, but for some reason I've been SUPER emotional lately!? Haha. I will definitely have to see it sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete