Friday, March 5, 2010

Life Left Me Behind

This is what happened.

Through a quick turn of events,
there I was
laying on the bank of the river,
face up.
The clouds were lovely shades of gray
and rain fell silently against windows.
Slowly, I sat up.
What just happened?
My head hurts.
I’m dizzy.
I can’t stand upright.
And the thing is:
I’ve pulled others out with me.
They sit beside me
and tend to me,
night and day.
I feel guilty for including them
in this
while others swim peacefully in the river,
unaffected.
I sleep
and rest
and heal.
And when it’s time to jump back in,
I do.
But it’s hard.
Everyone I know and love
is swimming in the river
so far ahead.
I’m caught in a current
and it’s pulling me back.

Life has left me behind
and I have a lot of catching up to do.

4 comments:

  1. You are an amazing chick-a-dee and I love you. You must promise to always keep writing...you are talented. If it helps any, I'm a REALLY slow swimmer and don't mind 'bringing up the rear' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHH! This was so good and it made me want to cry!!! That's how amazing it was! Seriously, I don't know if I tell you enough, but you SERIOUSLY have a talent for writing! :D

    ReplyDelete