Friday, March 19, 2010

Globe-al Vacation

Spring break has been boring.

I got to hang out with my friends and extended family a couple times, and that's always fun, but this year--like last year--my family didn't go on a true vacation. SO. Instead, we planned a day. A simple day to spend with just ourselves, siblings and parents, in.....GLOBE.

I'm guessing that some of you don't actually know where Globe is. To you: It's a bit east of us, past Apache Junction and down to the 60, all the way past Superior. There's a little town called Miami, and then there's a little town called Globe. (You can Mapquest it if you're having trouble gaining a mental picture.)

SO. Globe.

It's a tiny, beat-up town with an incredibly small population--some of whom live on the very side of the nearby mountain. It looks more like a "downtown" than a "town." Down the "main street," there are a bunch of quaint little antique shops and art galleries: tiny buildings with two floors (the second floor being vacant; they used to be used as apartments above the main stores. cool, eh?).

There's also two Mexican food places, right next to each other. And their food pretty much tastes the same, but one is just a tad nicer than the other. (You can imagine how difficult it was for us to decide which one to go to.)

We chose El Chola's, probably the less nice of the two. But it was ok. The food is incredibly tasty--hot bean burrito with a beef taco and Spanish rice. AND. Tortilla chips. (For all of you who don't know, I'm pretty sure that I could eat an entire bag of tortilla chips every day for the rest of my life. . . .ok, maybe not for the rest of my life. But you get the picture.) So, I was definitely a sucker for the tortilla chips. AND AND AND they had a jukebox. Of course, we played "Shortie Like Mine" by Bow-Wow, "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners, and "El Paso" by Marty Robbins. WOOT WOOT.

After that lunch, we walked down main street--taking pictures by vacated buildings' doors and browsing through antique shops. I have an incredible love for old things. Rustic things. Antiques. Goodness, they're fantastic. I love all of the little trinkets. History is cool, when it's not being forced into your cranium.

I got two bracelets from this nice old man in an antique shop--they were originally eight buckaroonies each, but he gave us both of them for 8. He also let Lynzi talk him down on the price for these stinkin' sweet moccasins. Yeah, moccasins! And they are so NOT fake like the ones here that they try to call moccasins.

I also got...LOTS OF COOL PIX! If you wish to see them, I am posting them on my photography blog right now.

The moral of the post is: Small towns aren't always so small and weird and...unattractive. They're cool. Believe me, I would never live in Globe, but if you ever have a chance to visit and maybe browse through some antique shops--do. It's quite pleasant, actually.

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!! ya, I would never live in a small town like that, but they're fun to visit, right? And "Come on Eileen"...AMAZING SONG! :D Glad you had fun! We need to hang out, like SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun!....actually at first when I read Globe I was like, "Really, Globe? Out of all the places in Arizona they choose Globe?" But I was wrong! I saw your pictures too...I really love the old door. Pretty awesome. Me...I'm spending time with my grandparents. Now that's something to woot about...not really...but oh well. I'll survive. last year we went to the Grand Canyon. That was flippin sweet. Anyway, I'm so glad you are feeling good and are out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Annie: UH, YEAH WE NEED TO HANG OUT!!! :D Yeah, I know, I really like that song! It's coolio, yo. Yo. YO.

    To Cortlee: Oo. Grandparents. :)
    Yeah, that's still something I need to do: go to the Grand Canyon. (mentally put on the list of things I need to do before I die) OH, and thanks for worrying about me! I'm not being sarcastic, I appreciate the love! :D

    ReplyDelete