Wednesday, July 8, 2009

More of Chapter 2....Still haven't named it yet

My story is still not named. So here's more of Chapter 2. Aurelie, Elodie, and Adelie leave the town. This is only a small part, and it really only gets them to the wood. You'll understand--just read. Keep leaving comments! I love em and need em!

A brisk wind blew from the south and chilled us. I turned to my little sisters and hastily told them, “Give me your hands. You must stay beside me always. Try not to make noise. If I start running, then you start running. D’accord?”
“Why would we have to run?” Elodie asked.
I paused. “If something...bad happens. Now let’s move. We have to get away from here before morning.”
I held my sisters’ hands tightly and made my way down the main street in town, keeping to the edge. I watched out for houses with candles still lit, and stayed in the shadows. As we neared the town’s boundary, I became edgy.
“Aurelie?” Adelie whispered in her tiniest voice.
“C’est quoi?” I bent down to hear her.
“My hand is hurting.”
I looked at our locked hands and realized that I was clutching her’s much too hard.
“I’m sorry.” I released the tight grip I kept on Aurelie’s hand and tried to relax, once again walking forward.
At the edge of town, there was about three kilometers of sparsely occupied farmland that stretched to a small group of trees, then a large city. If we got past that, we could easily hide ourselves in the city. I didn’t think it would be a problem, but it still frightened me to be out in the open for so long. I felt like the Italians could watch us the entire way, wherever they were.
We stealthily stepped out onto the farmland. A small dirt road ran through the middle of it, for trucks coming in and going out. Along the sides of the road was barbed wire fencing to keep cows and other animals safely inside, and wolves and thieves out.
I could smell the cow manure as we passed Monsieur Alvin Beaufort’s farm. He had several cows and a few horses that I remembered riding when they were just ponies. M. Beaufort had always been kind to our family. I recalled the day that Adelie was born, and she had been severely sick. M. Beaufort and his wife had come to our house to offer best wishes and bring over fresh dairy. Adelie had lived, but just a month after her miraculous recovery, dear Madame Beaufort passed away. I had loved her as if she were family, and it had been a hard time without her.
I knew that I would probably never see M. Beaufort again after tonight. I prayed silently for his safety and led my sisters on down the road.
The time passed quickly as we walked. Soon, we were just a few meters from the small grove of trees that would take us to Rodez.
“We’re almost to Rodez,” I told my sisters. They were both still tired from being woken up so early. They trudged along beside me, their hands holding mine, counting on me to pull them along. “Come now, girls, we’ll be traveling a lot more than this each day. You must get used to it. We’ll take a rest in the wood.”
“D’accord,” Elodie replied, straightening up and walking a bit faster. On the other hand, Adelie slowed down and begged to stop sooner. I pulled her up onto my back and her whines ceased.
The small wood stretched before us, going from left to right to the barbed wire fences and a little past, with the path continuing down the middle. The girls brightened up as we all entered the grove of trees. I sighed in relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment