Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Chapitre Deux

ALRIGHTY! Here is Chapter 2 of my stooooooorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy. Well, part of it. The three sisters LEAVE the town. Well, they're about to. Yups. Here ya go.

Chapitre Deux
“Elodie. Elodie, wake up. It’s time to leave.”
I nudged my sleeping sister with her tiny suitcase I had in hand, and tried to keep the candle in my other hand from wobbling.
“Quoi?” she answered groggily. “What?”
“It’s time to leave, hurry. Take this,” I gave her her suitcase, “and brush your hair. Take some fruit from the kitchen; I’ve already made some hot cocoa, but wait for me to get it for you. I’ll wake Adelie.”
With a quick and nervous step, I left Elodie’s room and entered Adelie’s. I placed the candlestick carefully on her bedside table and whispered in Adelie’s ear.
“Don’t cry, it’s Aurelie. Time to get up, and leave. Remember? We must meet mamon at Aunt Anne’s. Do you remember Aunt Anne?”
As I lifted the bed sheets and picked up Adelie, she mumbled something tiredly and clung to my shoulders, still mostly asleep. I carried her and her suitcase to the kitchen, where Elodie, now wide awake, sat eating an apple at the circular table.
“Elodie, take Adelie and put her in a chair. Cut up an apple for her, please?”
Elodie obeyed, and I went to the rusty stove where the hot chocolate steamed. I poured it into three mugs, then grabbed a few croissants from the bread cupboard.
We all sat then, eating our dinner and breakfast. It was delicious. There was nothing to compare to my mother’s homemade croissants and a cup of hot chocolate. The apples were fresh and sweet. They had come from the town market just the day before. We ate with relish, and all was silent.
I looked out the one uncovered window on the other side of the kitchen. It was ten o’clock at night, and pitch dark outside, perfect for our escape. With all my heart, I hoped that everyone in the town was sleeping, and the Italian soldiers near our town, also.
After each of us had eaten, I checked every corner of every room of the house, making sure we had not forgotten anything that was necessary to our trip. It seemed that everything that we needed was in our suitcases. I carried some croissants, an apple, and the bag of money in a pack slung over my shoulder.
“Very well,” I said, standing with my back to the door and looking back at the living room. It seemed impossible and unfair that we had to leave the place. I turned away from the beautiful furniture and walked down the entry hallway, my sisters on each side of me.
“You both have your coats on?”
“Oui,” Elodie and Adelie answered.
“Suitcases?”
“Oui.”
We all stood still when we reached the door. The beautiful mahogany stretched high to the ceiling. This was the door to our home, but it was also the door that took us away from our home. This was the door that took us away from all of our possessions, all of our fun times together as a family. But it had to be opened. This house could no longer be my sisters’ and my protection.
And so, with all of the reluctance and nervousness a fourteen-year-old could possibly possess, I opened the door and stepped outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment