More, finally. Sorry. I haven't been on here in FOR. EV. ER. Because track has taken over MY LIFE. And yesterday I was being incredibly lazy. So, now that it's 8:07 on Sunday night, I post more.
I searched the growing pile of dirty laundry that was gathered at the back of our room near the bathroom. My red coat wasn’t there. Recalling seeing it somewhere near Avery’s bed sometime last week, I went there.
Scouring the floor about the bed, I couldn’t find it anywhere. I reached underneath the bed and felt about, sticking my head underneath as well. The bright coat was nowhere to be found.
I stood in panic. I needed that coat. An incredible want for the note took hold of me. I didn’t particularly need the worn, folded paper, but for whatever reason, I felt that I should have it in my possession upon talking to Sawyer. The contents of the note were important, and I felt an itch to read them over again.
As my hope began to dwindle, I spotted the coat.
Avery was enveloped in the brilliant red, her legs folded up against herself for protection from the winter chill. Her light brown hair covered her flushing cheeks.
I breathed out through my nose in defeat. Somehow, fate always made it so that Avery got into my messes. Messes that were not meant for her inclusion.
Rolling my eyes, I yelled, “Avery!” at the top of my lungs and plunged onto the bed, nearly knocking her off of it. She screamed and rolled over, catching herself before tumbling off of the sheets.
“What the random was that?” she said with groggy anger.
I laughed and she playfully shoved a pillow into my face.
“Seriously, though,” she said while rubbing her eyes, “what’s up?”
“I need my jacket back.” I flexed my finger in its direction, twice.
“Oh, well, you could’ve just tapped me on the shoulder!” Avery pulled her arms out of the sleeves and laid the coat on my head.
“Thank you!” I replied, replacing my current coat with that one.
Just as I was about to leave, Avery grabbed my elbow.
“What’s this about?”
I desperately tried to hold back a sigh. So much for getting by without a question. “I just needed somethin’ in this pocket,” I revealed the note and then returned it to the coat with a shrug.
“What is it?”
“I’ll tell you . . . later?” My sheepish look didn’t buy her.
“When? When are you going to tell me about all of this? Honestly, Pops, I love ya, I just really want to know what’s going on. You’re so secretive and somber. Why won’t you let me help you?”
I placed a heavy hand on Avery’s shoulder. I wished with all of my heart that my palm could transfer some of the burden to my best friend, but I refused to let it.
“Ave, you can’t help with this one,” I answered softly. “I can’t bring you into this.”
I recalled my sister saying the same thing to me before giving me her precious note.
A dozen questions hung from Avery’s lips, begging to reveal themselves. Instead, my best friend swallowed them down. She closed her eyes and hung her head slightly, nodding deeply. She brushed my gloved hand gently from her shoulder like a layer of dust on an obscure and antique item. Nodding again, she walked to her desk and sat down.
Sadness slammed at the inside of my rib cage. Keeping Avery safe was pushing her farther from me than I’d ever thought she could be.
~ ~ ~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment